Sunflower oil has multiple benefits whether it’s beauty, health, or cooking-related. But have you ever wondered how it goes from seed to perfectly bottled oil? Sunflower oil extraction is when manufacturers take out the desirable compounds (or oils) from the seed of the sunflower and sell it as is or as an additive in other products. While there are a few different ways manufacturers can go about this, they tend to prefer solvent extraction methods.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss what solvent extraction is, how it works for the removal of compounds from sunflowers, and where to buy solvents to start the process yourself.
How Sunflower Oil Extraction Works
There are a few different methods when it comes to extracting oils from plants, but there is one that stands apart from the rest: solvent extraction. Not only does using solvents like hexane and ethanol make for a quick, cost-effective method for harvesting compound-rich oils from seeds. It is also preferable for products intended for consumption. Some of these chemical compounds are food-grade. They are safe to use on ingestible products such as olive oil, peanut oil, and sunflower oil.
While there are a few different types of methods and solvents the extractor can choose from when drawing out oils, each method consists of similar steps:
- Step 1: First, the extractor will allow the solvent to come in contact with the plant or seeds, completely saturating them.
- Step 2: After that, the compounds of the seeds will begin to separate. How long this takes depends on the process the extractor chooses to perform.
- Step 3: Next, the extractor will draw out the desirable compounds. These have been separated from the seeds through some type of heating process. Boiling the solution will cause the solvent to evaporate from the newly extracted compounds.
- Step 4: The extractor will perform the necessary clean-up process. Getting rid of any excess solvent and seeds until they’re left with the final extracted product.
These steps can change depending on the equipment available, the time the extractor has, the safety resources present, as well as the budget of the extractor.
Where to Buy Solvents to Extract Oils
If your goal is to…
- Extract a high-yield of product each time
- Extract oils for commercial purposes
- Use a cost-effective product
- Conduct greener practices
- Have a strong relationship with your supplier
Then, choose Extraction Grade Solvents! We offer high-quality chemical compounds that are great for industrial use. Visit our website or contact us today to learn more!