The Ideal Solvent
In the extraction process, solvents are the ideal solution to break down materials and extract components. As far as types of solvents go, hexane is the most popular solvent due to its ideal nature and properties. Hexane is great for extraction due to its effectiveness, affordability, and chemical characteristics. However, certain chemical safety issues should be properly understood so that users can have optimal knowledge when using hexane.
Hexane and Safety
Although hexane is incredibly popular and widespread, the solvent has sparked concern in certain health communities. More research needs to be done to fully see and understand the long-term health effects that hexane has. At the moment, it is known that hexane holds some low acute toxic properties. Hexane has been labeled as an irritant, with the potential to be a hazard to the environment and human health in adverse situations. Flammability is the biggest issue seen with hexane. Hexane has been exposed as a serious hazard in this regard, shown to be quite ignitable as well as a fire risk. The groups most concerned with hexane safety should be those facing chronic exposure in industrial settings. Dealing with hazardous materials is common when working in a chemical setting, so it is good to know how to handle a product like hexane safely.
Hexane and Safety: Preventative Measures
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- One way to protect hexane handlers is to use personal protective equipment (PPE). Personal Protective Equipment minimizes the exposure that a person has to the hazardous material they are interacting with by serving as a barrier. Some examples of PPE for hexane safety are safety glasses, solvent-resistant gloves, close-toed shoes, and comfortably fitting clothing. These products will help users protect key body parts such as their skin, eyes, mouth, and nose.
- Flammability prevention…
Some key preventative measures regarding the flammable nature of hexane are to…
- Prevent spills and leakage
- Be cautious of electrical equipment in the area
- Get rid of potential ignition sources
- Limit the amount of hexane to be used at once
- Workstation prevention measures…
- Thorough and frequent handwashing
- Proper hexane disposal
- Proper hexane storage
- Exhaust ventilation
- Proper setup & cleanup
- Reactive measures…
If an incident with hexane does occur, it is important to know what reactive measures to take…
- Eyewash stations in place
- Fire spray systems
- Emergency exits
- First aid response plan for inhalation, eye contact, skin contact
Need More Information About Hexane?
Here at Extraction Grade Solvents, our team of experts is ready to help. We are well-equipped to answer your hexane safety needs and concerns and can connect you to solvent products here!