What is Chemovar?
There are many chemovar variations of cannabis that have an array of effects. Chemovar also known as chemo-type means the breakdown of a plant species according to their chemical makeup. What makes chemovar variations so important is that it helps consumers know what cannabinoid and terpene profile to select for their targeted medicinal effect. Each variation has a unique effect, so it is important to know what to expect after consumption.
Different Types of Cannabinoids
- THC (Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol
- CBD (Cannabidiol)
- CBG (Cannabigerol)
- And over 100 other kinds of Cannabinoids!
These different cannabinoids all have unique effects in the human body. Cannabinoids impact the endocannabinoid system differently and come in different potency levels. Cannabis variations that contain THC have a psychoactive effect. However, THC also helps with pain, insomnia, and many other ailments. Some people have adverse effects with this cannabinoid, so it is important to start dosing low and slow.
Understanding Cannabinoid Meanings
Cannabidiol (CBD) alone does not cause the psychoactive effects THC does. Including CBD with THC can help reduce the psychoactive effects of THC and increase the positive effects of the cannabinoid. CBD has many different health benefits and helps pediatrics with certain forms of epilepsy.
Cannabigerol (CBG) is a more minor cannabinoid but is worth mentioning. This unique cannabinoid is growing in popularity because research shows it is helping patients with glaucoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, psoriasis, depression, and schizophrenia.
Cannabinoids are not the only thing to consider when choosing the right chemotype. Terpene profiles are also just as important. Terpenes are oils from plants that have a variety of aromas and flavors. Terpenes may play a part in how cannabinoid effects will work in the endocannabinoid system. There are many different terpene types, but the four most common terpenes and their effects include:
- Myrcene has an earthy, fruity smell found in lemongrass and hops. Myrcene helps with pain relief, depression, relaxation, and muscle tension.
- Pinene has a piney, woody smell found in basil, parsley, and rosemary. This terpene is great for pain relief, alertness, memory retention, anxiety, and asthma.
- Limonene has a citrusy, sweet aroma and flavors found in the rinds of citrus fruits like lemons and oranges. Limonene helps with heartburn, anxiety, the immune system, and digestion.
- Linalool has a sweet scent and is found in lavender and thyme. Linalool helps with depression, anxiety, and relaxation.
There are many chemovar possibilities when it comes to cannabis. Cannabinoid and terpene profiles are unique in their own ways. They are very fragile during the extraction process. When extracting cannabis for its medicinal benefits, most terpenes are lost because they are damaged during the extraction process. Losing terpenes causes a decrease in aroma and the overall desired effect.
How to Shop for Cannabis Extraction Oils?
Here at Extraction Grade Solvents, we have the necessary tools to help you find the right extraction materials. Visit our website today or contact us here for more information!