Hemp and its products have exponentially increased in popularity over the past several years. It might seem as though the internet is flooded with sources claiming that hemp and hemp products possess life-changing benefits. You might be wondering: Is this too good to be true?
Fortunately, hemp really is quite a beneficial substance. It also is quite diverse in its applications; hemp has been used in food, cosmetics, medicine, and even in textiles. Before diving into the details of what this substance can do for you, let’s look at what exactly hemp is.
What Exactly is Hemp?
Hemp is a variant of the Cannabis sativa plant. It’s actually not that different from marijuana, a more common Cannabis plant. The main, and very important, the distinction between the two is the THC content. Tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, is the psychoactive cannabinoid in marijuana that provides a “high.” While hemp does contain THC, it contains it at such a low concentration that you will not experience the effects of it. Legally, hemp is cannabis that contains less than 0.3 percent THC. This low concentration plus its higher concentration of CBD–cannabidiol, one of the other cannabinoids found in the plant—means that you can experience the plethora of benefits of hemp without the high.
What Are the Benefits of Hemp?
Hemp comes in many forms, but primarily it is found as an oil or seed. Hemp oil and hemp seeds are packed with nutritional benefits, like high fiber content and tons of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. However, there are some medicinal benefits of hemp that are important to know:
- Heart health. Since hemp is high in omega-3 fatty acids, it can lower your cholesterol, which in turn will help prevent heart disease. Hemp also contains a special enzyme, lipase, that can dissolve plaque from your blood vessels. This powerhouse substance also provides arginine and gamma-linoleic acid, which are both linked to inflammation reduction in the heart.
- Inflammation reduction. Hemp oil has been used for pain relief for years now, and the results speak for themselves. People using hemp oil for pain have experienced decreased inflammation and joint and muscle relaxation.
- Chronic pain treatment. The pain relief benefits of hemp make it very suitable for treating chronic ailments like (rheumatoid) arthritis, multiple sclerosis (MS), and fibromyalgia. The omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids keep joints lubricated and reduce inflammation, which results in a significant decrease in painful symptoms.
- Acne, Eczema, and Psoriasis therapy. Studies have proven that the anti-inflammatory properties in hemp make it a prime candidate for treating tough skin conditions. The vitamins and fatty acids in this substance protect the skin from inflammation, infection, breakage, oxidation, etc.
- Improved brain health. Hemp oil has been shown to provide relief for several mental illnesses, including anxiety, depression, and ADHD, and for some cognitive illnesses like seizure disorders, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s, and MS.
Hemp is also related to PMS relief, menopause symptom relief, improved fetal development, increased hair health, weight loss, and many more. Not only is it great in oil form, but hemp seeds are nutritional powerhouses: they are complete proteins, meaning they contain all 21 amino acids, and they are packed with nutrients like zinc, magnesium, iron, and Vitamin E. Overall, if you haven’t tried hemp as a natural remedy for some of life’s most troublesome ailments, it should be on your list.
Looking to Shop for Your Needs?
Extraction Grade Solvents offers high-quality environmentally-friendly solvents for your extraction needs! Already know what you are looking for? Click here to browse our product selection! If you still need more information our team is standing by to assist you here!